Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Perspective

September 29, 2011

Today has been a rough day.  I continue to remind myself I am still in the early stages of this venture, yet it is difficult to not become totally overwhelmed.  All day thoughts of family, friends, home and life in the United States of America filled my mind.  It is like a completely different world here.  Time passes by so very slowly, and it’s hard not to think about home.  Today I began to realize something that I’ve always known to some degree, but was really emphasized today.  It’s amazing how many things in my life I take for granted.  At home I remember complaining when my showers are too hot or too cold or not long enough or not at a convenient time ect ect, and being here has made me realize how easy showers at home really are.  Showers are not easy in the jungles of Bolivia.  When we first moved out to our little house with the boys, I was bummed about not having a bathroom or shower, having to use the spigot out back for showers and walk to the other girls bathrooms.  Now, I am in LOVE with our little spigot out back!  Simple reason: water has been slowly running out all around the orphanage, it’s the dry season, it’s been a while since it has rained.  I just found out today that during the dry season the only place we can always count on water is at the one pump on campus, which is often dirty water.  Our spigot is a multipurpose spigot and when it’s not working it means we send the kids to pump water to brush their teeth, take showers, wash the dishes, and wash their clothes.  Tonight Erin and I had our first “shower” over by the pump… and after that experience I officially love our little spigot.  All the sudden it became a treat in my mind whenever that little spigot is working!  Later, right before bed I ran to check if there was any water yet, when I found water I immediately decided to take advantage of the water while it’s here and I took another, better shower.  Another thing that comes to mind thinking about home is how I sometimes snap at a sister or brother who turns on or off a light when I’m using it.  For example when I’m about to fall asleep I don’t enjoy a bright light being turned on by my head.  Or when I’m reading under a light I don’t usually enjoy it being turned off and the room turning pitch black.  Now I would be quite pleased to have light of any kind at any time, how nice it would be to have control of when the lights work and don’t work! These past few days there has been a strike and a roadblock up the road a ways from Familia Feliz, it is the main road that comes in toward Rurrenabaque from La Paz, Santa Cruz, all the big cities around.  Because of the roadblock gas trucks weren’t able to get through to Rurrenabaque and there has been a shortage of gas in this area.  Usually the generator only runs a few hours a day but without gas it can’t run at all, which means no electricity at Familia Feliz.  They say roadblocks and strikes happen quite often around here and we start running low on food and water too if they last long enough.  Luckily this one ended and we were able to get more gas today.  All these things just made me realize, as I was standing out back washing my hair under our little spigot, hearing the noises of the jungle and the generator working again to light our little houses – I was so happy to be showering under a spigot and to have light shining from my house.  These things that I have taken for granted my whole life felt like luxury to have at the same time.  Perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment